ASHLAND, NH – Amidst ongoing expansion, Minus33, a merino wool apparel brand created by textile engineers from L.W. Packard & Co., has reclaimed ownership of the historic Scribner Building that sits at the head of the former L.W. Packard campus in Ashland, New Hampshire.
The move is the latest step by Minus33 toward reclaiming its New England textile heritage and extending a tradition of quality that reaches back through generations of family business. Originally built in 1880 for the use of the textile mill, the historic Scribner Building has been repurchased by Minus33 to support the continued expansion of the merino wool specialty brand.
“Taking back the Scribner building is a huge step for the growing team here at Minus33,” said Vice President of L.W. Packard and Lead Sock Designer Lawson Glidden. “To dedicate this space to really making things again, even if it’s just a part of this once massive facility, is a feeling that’s so gratifying, it’s hard to describe. We’re proud to carry forward a tradition that reaches back nearly two centuries here in Ashland. The end goal is to harness that accumulated knowledge to deliver the absolute best quality product to consumers at the best value, while bringing back good jobs to this community.”
On the grounds of the original L.W. Packard textile mill, renovations of the Scribner Building will begin in May 2021, starting with the repair and restoration of the roof. Plans include installing a wind vane from the original Ashland Knitting Company and a Hooper Bell, which was once part of the original mill. This bell would have been rung daily to signal various times throughout the day and alert for important news.
Minus33 offers the finest quality merino wool basics at a price that everyone can afford. Carrying forward over 100 years of expertise, Minus33 was created by the wool experts of the former L.W. Packard Co., in 2002, as a response to the changing global trade and manufacturing landscape. In 2020, the brand was able to bring wool production back to Ashland, New Hampshire, with its Mountain Heritage line of socks, extending a local tradition dating back to 1840, when the Briggs brothers of Leeds, England, built a woolen mill on the Squam River, manufacturing wool products, hosiery, gloves, sporting equipment and paper. In 1916, Luther W. Packard of Berwick, Maine, purchased the mill and named it L.W. Packard. For more history on the L.W. Packard Mill and Minus33, read Our Story.
Written by Chris Hrenko for Pale Morning Media & Minus33. Featured image provided by Three Peaks Media.